Thursday, February 14, 2008

Why can't we be on time?

We are time-challenged. We have no concept of how long it takes us to get ready to go somewhere, how long it takes to get there, how much time it will take to find a parking place, or how long it will take to walk to our destination. We need help with this.

Kevin and I went to see the Lion King in Pittsburgh today. It takes around 90 minutes to get through the tunnel into the city and from there we had no clue (except for "somewhere on Liberty Avenue") as to where the Benedum Center is, much less how long it would take to get there. It turns out that it's not far into the city, but what is difficult is finding a place to park at 12:45 p.m. on a weekday. All in all, from our house to our seats in the theatre, it takes 2 hours. We left our house at 11:05 a.m. The show started at 1:00. We had to go through Wendy's drive-thru or starve. We were running very late.

Picture us driving through Pittsburgh, swearing while desperately trying to find a parking garage, then finding one that said "FULL", but pulling in anyway, somehow finding what had to be the very last spot in the entire 6-level garage, then running (not exaggerating) through the unfamiliar streets, slushy snow and traffic until we burst into the Benedum Center, and get this...the show had not started yet! It was an absolute miracle. All of the events that led up to us getting there were absolutely, ridiculously, somehow in our favor. One minor glitch...the usher almost didn't let us in, but I was totally prepared to drop-kick her to get in there before it started.

So, my question for this post is...why can't we be on time? Or better yet, early? I was time-challenged before I met Kevin and it has gotten exponentially worse since I have become Mrs. Kevin. Do we have some sort of learning disability related to estimating time? Do we thrive on the last-minute-rushing-around with all of the adrenaline and excitement? Or, do we procrastinate, putting off every slightly unpleasant duty when preparing to leave the house until the very last moment and then find ourselves, yet again, in the time management crapper?

At least I can tell you that I am happy to report...Kevin stayed awake for every wonderfully fantastic moment of the most beautifully costumed/propped/scened show I have ever seen! You MUST see the Lion King if you are a musical fan!

And, Kevin, thank you for an absolutely perfect Valentine's Day!

4 comments:

Mary Kathryn said...

No worries - if tardiness is your biggest flaw, then that's awesome. Glad to join you in blogtown, BTW. :O)

Radio Boy Jr. said...

You're welcome.

I was going to post that earlier, but I got behind.

Lydee said...

I would love to see Lion King! Glad to hear you had a good time (after you got there!).

aconnoley said...

I loved that show!! It was amazing! I'm glad my brother hasn't lost his romantic sensibilities. :-)