Friday, February 29, 2008

Has this ever happened to you?

You can't stand the way your hair looks. It's bugging you because it's too long, it's in your eyes, it won't lay smooth or it's too flat, so you make the hair appointment and you're determined to just get it all chopped off. Major change. (When I am in this predicament, I buy a People magazine. I want to look at all the stars and see what kinds of hairstyles they have. I'm partial to Reese Witherspoon--if I was a man, I would have a serious crush on her. As it is, I love her hair and even though I realize she has stylists and probably extensions and a hundred other types of hair-helpers, at least I can get some ideas from her.) Now, you've picked out your favorite star's hairstyle and it's a drastic departure from what you usually get done at the salon, but you're psyching yourself up for this. (You've even gone so far as to tear the picture out of the People magazine so you can show your hairdresser exactly what you want.)

So, you wake up that morning, get your shower and start to fix your annoying, no-style, soon-to-be chopped-off mess of a head of hair and lo and behold...IT LOOKS THE BEST IT HAS IN MONTHS. It curls perfectly in the exact way that takes years off your face, with just enough fluffiness and it gives you a bit of a Reese-esque quality that not everyone would necessarily see, but certainly the people who care most about you would. So, later that day, when you go to the salon with your picture of Reese Witherspoon in your pocket and a whole bunch of doubt, when the hairdresser asks what you want done, you say..."Same as last time." After all, apparently, this cut is the one!

Or, (thanks to Mary Kathryn for this one), your car is making a sound. You just know it's the brakes or the rotors or something that's going to blow up, so you make the appointment to take it to the garage and of course, on the way there, NO SOUND NOW! The baby has a hacking cough, green snot and a high fever. The doctor can see him at 2:00 p.m. At 1:30, THE COUGH IS GONE, THE SNOT IS CLEAR, TEMPERATURE IS 98.6!

Well, Kevin snores. Especially when he's sleeping on his back or in the chair with his neck bent at a 90 degree angle. As a result of the ridiculous nighttimes in our house, I have banished Kevin to the couch because I can't get any sleep at all when he's snoring in my ear. Well, he made an appointment for Thursday night to have a Sleep Study done. Not just because he snores, but also because he is always tired. He just doesn't get good, sound nights of sleep. Wednesday night, Ben was up and miserable and I thought we might have to put him in our bed. I woke Kevin up and had him move to our bed in anticipation of moving Ben in there to sleep between us. I ended up not moving Ben, and, guess what...KEVIN DID NOT SNORE! It was the quietest he's been in months, years really.

What's the deal with these occurrences? Do you ever feel like you're in that movie, The Truman Show, where Jim Carrey's existence is a tv reality show only he doesn't know it and everyone is watching all of the ridiculous predicaments in his life for entertainment? Is this The Jennifer Show? If a stage light falls from the sky today, I'm going to be seriously suspicious!

4 comments:

Heidi Ho said...

I swear, this is my life!!!! I am having the same problem with my "gull bladder" attacks. By the time I get to the Dr., all's well. No signs of pain and distress!

It does feel like the Truman show! Good comparison.

Just know, we all think your hair is beautiful just the way it is! It was cute short too! So if you feel brave, just go for it next time!

Mary Kathryn said...

I LOVE the Truman show and agree (just like I did with the car thing) that these weird occurrences do happen. It's so annoying.

I agree with Heidi, too, about the short hair. When the bad breakup stuff happened and you whirled out with that short pixie cut and you weighed like 3 pounds, people were like, "DAMN!"

I always take the eraly "Friends"-era Jennifer Aniston photo to the stylist when I want a good-looking hairdo. Only one stylist has ever gotten it right, and that was in 1999.

Mountain Mama said...

So true... I like your current hair though. :)

Lydee said...

Go figure.