Thursday, February 21, 2008

Am I turning into a man?

I found a hair in my chin today that was, frankly, embarassing. I mean, honestly, am I turning into a man? The wild hairs started appearing when I was pregnant with Danny and of course, I assumed they were the result of hormone surges and the fact that I was pregnant with a manchild. But, here I am two babies later, definitely not pregnant, yet still apparently overloaded with testosterone.

I discovered the hair as I sat in Danny's art class today. Just sitting there, minding my own business, resting my chin on my hand, when the coarse little fella poked me in the finger. Not knowing exactly how obvious it was, what color it might be or how long it was, I tried discreetly to pull it out, but I couldn't get a good grip on it. So, then I worried the rest of the class that all the other mothers could see it and would go home to tell their husbands about the mommy at class who is growing whiskers.

This didn't distract me too much though, from noticing that a few of the mothers there in class talked in full voice to each other the entire hour. It made me feel bad for the teacher. Please, moms, I know we don't get out much and every opportunity for social interaction is valued, but man, you gotta at least whisper. I've been there in my life, with adults in my classroom talking out loud or cutting paper, stapling or typing (I know typing is a stretch, but it can be really annoying when trying to create a beautifully, quiet 2nd grade musical experience). Poor teacher today, poor kids who were trying to listen to teacher, poor me with a beard and a chip on my shoulder.

Well, I still feel like a girl despite the goatee and occasional moustache hair (I've found those too), just a considerably older girl than I probably should. Last week I found my first gray hair and that really kind of broke my heart. But at least it wasn't in my chin.

3 comments:

Heidi Ho said...

Life is full of wild hairs, ya know? They are most often the kinds that show up when you least expect them to and plant themselves in your life like little thorns! Just get a good ole pair of tweezers and uproot that sucker!!! And, while your at it, shush those moms!!! As for the gray hair, honey....if I let my hair grow out, there would be no, I repeat NO Brown hair!!!! When it grows out I look like a skunk! The kids will say things like..."mrs. lucas, you have chalk dust on your hair...." UGHHHHH I'm a middle-aged mama to be!!! Love ya and I think you are a lovely essence of womanhood!!!! : )

Mary Kathryn said...

Yeah, shush those idiots. That annoys me to no end. Remember the choral reading session at WVMEA maybe in '02 when that lady with long blonde hair answered her cell phone AND proceeded to carry on her conversation in full voice? We were all appalled.

And about the hair(s).... that does suck, but we do all have them. I know some folks like to make people believe they don't have 'em, but they do. It's a rite of passage when you get to your thirties. At least that's when MY body seemed to start falling apart.

Mountain Mama said...

Jennifer, you (and your blog readers) are the first outside of my family to know- I have chin hairs too! AND I've had them since I was 18! So don't feel bad! I even had my testosterone level checked- fine! And the gray hair started coming in at age 23.