Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Are these things true?

I started back to school yesterday and everything has gone relatively smoothly despite the fact that Ben doesn't sleep and I am awake half the night. Teachers report to work at 7:15 a.m. at my school which is pretty darn early when you have nights like we do. Ben was awake 5 times last night. Nothing seemed wrong--he just really wants to cuddle. I love him, but I am sick of the affection-calls all night long. Ben, see me for some serious cuddle time after sun-up.

I have been showing my students pictures of Ben and telling them about him so they can understand why I was home all year. All of the kids want to tell me stories about their baby brothers or sisters or stories about when they, themselves were babies. I'm not sure if some of these tales are true or not. What do you think?

When I was born...
I had hair down to here (motion to shoulders) but the doctor cut it; I had 10 teeth and my dad stuck his finger in my mouth and I bit it; I could talk; my mom said she wanted a girl but I was a boy and my dad said, "Stick him back in"; I came out of my mom's mouth...another kid goes, "Nu-uh, that's not where babies come out"...first kid goes, "Mrs. C, where do babies come out?"...I say, "Next question!"

When I was a baby...
I ate paper; I swallowed dirt; I stuck my head in the toilet and drank the water; I always cried when my dad held me because I was afraid he was going to kill me; I swallowed a cigarette.

I don't know, some of them seem a bit farfetched. Tiny bit unbelievable. I've still been thinking about the cigarette-swallowing one though and I'm pretty sure she was telling the truth. I've been gagging so much about that one.

The kids have been so sweet...lots of hugs, drawings, hand-made cards, and "I missed yous". That really does make it a lot easier to leave my boys. And, of course, we are so lucky to have an angel babysitting them every day. That makes it easier too. Thanks, Mom...we all love you so much and we can't thank you enough for taking care of us!

4 comments:

Mountain Mama said...

Um, I think the cigarette and the toilet-drinking tales are true.

Glad back-to-work is going smoothly! I know what you mean about the tiredness!

Mary Kathryn said...

Those are some funny tales. Kids are so cute. I miss spending time with kids who can carry on a conversation. Glad you are having a good time back at school. And yes, you are lucky to have your mom. Of course, she's lucky to have your cute boys, too! Hope her first couple of days with them have gone smoothly.

Heidi Ho said...

Hate to tell ya, when I was two...I walked in on a poker game my dad had with the boys. They were smokin' and drinkin' all kinds of stuff! (This was the early 70's). I reached up to the ashtray, picked up a ciggie butt and preceded to imitate what I saw...big men stickin' those cancer sticks in their mouths. My father, in his drunken wisdom, to teach me a lesson, had me eat that cigarette butt so I'd never touch them again. Although his heart was in the right place, needless to say my dad would never have won the "daddy of the year" award. I never touched a cigarette until well into college. So, when those little ones say that stuff....don't be surprised if it isn't, at least partially, true!

Arlene Bennett said...

I'd definitely believe the comments that came after "when I was a baby..." They seem very believable.

You are very lucky to have your mom with the boys. I'm sure it puts your mind at ease to know they are with her.

Hope school continues to go well. It must be tough after the time off!