Thursday, March 6, 2008

Good plan, right?

I have to go to the grocery store practically every day. I am unable to plan a week's worth of menus, go shopping once and make it through seven days without needing several Emergency Grocery Trips (EGTs). Before I started back to school last week, I took out a little journal and wrote down five dinner ideas and five lunch ideas (for my mom to make for the boys). I thought that I could just have the ingredients for these meals on a shopping list, go to the store and be set for the week. Each night, I could get things ready for the next day...take stuff out of the freezer, put food in the crock pot the next morning, whatever. Good plan, right?

I don't know what happened. I haven't stuck to it at all and now I sit here wondering what in the heck we're going to eat for dinner. I have already broken down and started eating school lunch instead of taking leftovers or a sandwich and I have made three EGTs since I started back to school.

Last night's EGT took me to the new giant Kroger in the Suncrest Plaza Town Center Square Galleria. It's the biggest grocery store I have ever been in and I'm sorry to say that an EGT turned into a shopping extravaganza. I could not resist a number of impulse purchases including a new lipstick (I don't even wear lipstick half the time, much to the dismay of my mother) and a new set of Dry-Erase markers. People, these are not even food items...what is wrong with me? Do other people need to go to the grocery store so often? Why do we seem to NEVER have anything to eat around here?

I did show some restraint though. I did not buy the teeny tiny bananas that looked so adorable (just bought the regular sized bananas) and I refrained from putting the entire German chocolate cake in my cart (I only bought two slices of it). Unfortunately, I also forgot to buy diapers which are in short supply around here. Maybe I can talk Kevin into making the next EGT.

3 comments:

Heidi Ho said...

I have no children yet, and a completely sweet husband, yet....EGT's are a common occurance in our household too. Let me tell you about my life, Jason told me he loved me for the first time at "Sam's Club". We begin and end most every date at Wal-mart. In fact, we often go to either place just to "walk around". We get in fights because I have a contempt for Sam Walton. He has created an American icon that is similar to a black hole in outerspace...it sucks you in and leaves you lost and flat broke......and you still forgot the damn milk!!! I sympathize!

Mary Kathryn said...

Actually, there are not too many EGTs around here because I buy the whole entire store everytime I do go and then have serious guilt afterward which forces me to scrounge around for meal ingredients for the next few days. I feel your pain about the impulse buys, do I ever.

And I love the link to the hot lipstick.

Mountain Mama said...

Oh yeah, we usually have a couple EGTs each week. When you live and work where I do that's a REAL drag. Luckily my dear husband works in Mtown and does most of it. It's actually been better since I had Ben- I've been watching the sales and collecting coupons and stocking up on good deals. So most of the EGTs are just for milk, bread, lunch meat and cheese.