Sunday, October 5, 2008

The gift of parenthood

I have been given so much as a result of having children: Love, joy, affection, gratitude, humility, hope, wonder, fun, compassion, selflessness, friendship, courage, relief, confidence, purpose, determination, pride.

Here are some things that have been taken from me and that I would like back:

*My bed.
*The opportunity to eat a snack alone.
*Naps...I'm pretty sure I haven't had one since 2003.
*Being able to eat dinner at the same time as everyone else, not 10 minutes later after everyone has been served.
*My hairbrush...why is Ben fascinated with it?...why is it always in the living room?
*A long, hot bath...alone..."No, do not put that truck in here, I mean it...no you cannot get in here with me!"
*Clean counter tops...everything we don't want Ben to have is piled on top of the kitchen counters.
*My tv...it is now a vessel for the Wii or Noggin.
*Solo bathroom trips...I don't prefer having an audience...there were times when Ben was a baby, that I was holding him and talking to Danny while sitting on the toilet.
*My sanity.

2 comments:

Mary Kathryn said...

This is great, and SO true. Awesome post.

Arlene Bennett said...

I can only comment on two things. The ability to have a snack alone----forget it if you have a dog, no matter how old the kids are. Clean countertops---I think "my boys" live to see how much shit they can lay there so that "mom" will clean it up.

Naps eventually come, bathing and bathroom trips alone do too. Give 'em their own TV, and forget about sanity---it was gone the day you said "I Do".